Decoding Interview Questions

Subject: Decoding Interview Questions
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:41:13 -0700

I'm just the messenger on this one. From JobSearchInfo.com:

Interviews can be very stressful, so the more prepared we are, the better.
One way to prepare ourselves is to brainstorm ideas about questions we may
get asked, so we'll be ready when the time comes. But how do we know how to
answer them? More than often, we get asked at least one question in an
interview that seems to have little or nothing to do with the job. Believe
it or not, there is a reason for every question they ask. Here are some tips
to help you decode interview language and find out what they really want to
know.

Interviewers ask various questions to find out what kind of person you are
and how you might be as an employee. Here are some of the more popular
interview questions and tips on how to answer them:

Q: "What is your greatest accomplishment in life so far?"

A: They're not just trying to find out what kinds of things you're good at.
Interviewers ask questions like this because they're trying to find out
about your values. The way you answer this question reveals how you see the
world. The things that are of value to you contribute to your overall
personality, which has a lot to do with your work habits. For example, if
the position requires the applicant to have more education than learned
skills, you might answer by saying you're most proud of your college or
graduate level degree. This shows the interviewer that you have a solid
understanding of what they're looking for in an employee and you might be a
good fit as well.

Q: "Why do you want to work for this company?"

A: Although this question seems fairly simple, a lot of people don't seem to
realize how important it is. Again, this relates to the "good fit" idea. The
way you answer this question has a lot to do with how much chemistry you may
or may not have with the company. Like any other relationship, it's
important to have good chemistry with the people you work with. While it's
not the same kind of chemistry you need in a personal relationship, it's
still important. They need to know if you have what it takes to join their
team and if you're willing to deliver. Instead of focusing on how good you
would be at the job, focus on exactly how you will help them exceed their
goals. Try to come up with unique ideas that make sense and will separate
you from other candidates. Be creative and show them you've taken some time
to really think about your answer.

Q: "So tell me about yourself..."

A: This question usually comes towards the middle of the interview or at the
very beginning to help start things off. If it seems like a very
straightforward question- it is. However, don't make the mistake of thinking
the interviewer wants to get to know you on a personal level. Interviewers
ask this question in order to find out about your strengths and weaknesses
and how they may affect your work performance. So instead of telling them
what you like to do on weekends, you might want to say something like "I'm
very sociable and I get along with all kinds of people." An answer like that
would show that you work well with others and you're probably fairly easy to
get along with.

Whatever you do- don't stress too much about the actual questions. A lot of
times, a first impression has more to do with the way you conduct yourself
than the things you actually say. If you come in with pre-rehearsed answers
and a script-like presentation, you probably won't win them over. But if you
are asked a question that you weren't prepared for, but you handle it well,
you are exhibiting both sincerity and "grace under pressure." Now that you
understand the meaning of these questions, you should be able to come up
with some personalized answers. Keep in mind that they ask these questions
to get an idea of who you are, not to put you on the spot. If you ever feel
like you're being asked an unfair or inappropriate question, you always have
the option to leave the interview and turn down the job. But in most
situations, the person is just trying to get to know you a little, so let
them!

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList