Re: Preferences versus defaults?

Subject: Re: Preferences versus defaults?
From: Charles_Boyle -at- beeline -dot- ag
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:39:13 +1000

I think it's easy to get confused thinking in terms of software,
single/multi user sites in relation to defaults and preferences. The
default is the original state of any item when the user receives it (as
long as it hasn't been jumped on by the courier). Any part of the item
that can be changed by the user, and is changed, is a preference.

I don't know if this is a simple example, but it works for me:

I buy a model T Ford, it comes in black and only black, the factory
default color. I change the color by painting it purple with yellow
stripes, that's my preferred color scheme. It's going to remain that color
until I decide to change it. I get a new job and a company car, a model T
ford. This model T is painted in the company colors of green and orange
(company/site standard setting), I can't change this - I can hang a fox
tail on the hand brake and stick some fluffy dice somewhere (my
preferences). While coming up my driveway at the unholy speed of 23mph I
smash into my model T and total both of them. I order a new model T, my
company orders a new model T and they arrive in......the color
black....looks like we both have to change that to our preferred color
scheme.

Cheers.
Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any
hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
the intended recipient. BEELINE Technologies and any of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
views of any such entity.

Thank You.
postmaster -at- BEELINE -dot- ag

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList