Re: Menard's review of Truss (was RE: How to Use English Punctuation Correctly - wikiHow)

Subject: Re: Menard's review of Truss (was RE: How to Use English Punctuation Correctly - wikiHow)
From: "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:15:17 -0700

Disclaimer: I've read all of the book, but only skimmed the review. That
said, I thought the book an entertaining afternoon's read. You won't find
grammatical enlightenment there by any means, but what you will find is a
light and often humerous look at grammar as it's commonly used, greengrocer
appostrophes and all.

As to "translating" the book (I guess he meant localizing, huh?), I hardly
think that's significant. Yes, there are differences in British and American
English -- don't we all understand them by now? And in today's shrinking
world where many of us write for global markets, the distinction between the
two dialects becomes less and less important. Perhaps we should just pick
the best from each and run with it, because I believe that eventually the
differences will disappear. I, for one, don't have any problems mixing
British-style quotation marks with American spelling - sometimes it just
makes sense. And when my audience mixes equal parts of Americans, Brits, and
Japanese, who's to say I'm wrong?

MOO, YMMV,
-Sue Gallagher