RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: RE: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Ned Bedinger'" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:02:43 -0700

I had a contract that went on for several months longer than original
contracted and I was clueless about how to handle it. I stayed on for the
pay and the medical benefits that I wound up needing. Although, I did
mention to the recruiter that I should have a rate increase because the
three-month contract was heading into six months. They told me that the
manager would not pay more, although the recruiter could have adjusted its
margin. After that, I decided to not stay on for contracts that went longer
than planned. I have also resigned myself to never accept an extension
without a careful examination of all terms and not just rates.

After the first never-ending contract, I had another short, three-month
contract. I was ready to leave at the end of the three months and I had
something lined up. The recruiter and the manager never talked to me about
an extension and when I had my new contract, I told them both that I would
leave at the end of three months. The manager was surprised, "Just like
that?" Well, yeah. The recruiter was surprised too, "Well I guess I
dropped the ball on that one." Well, yeah.

The manager was still friendly with me after that when a bunch of us got
together for "choir practice" and the recruiter later placed me at Intel.
Leaving when the contract term is over is acceptable, but if you give the
impression that you are staying on, then you should probably be very tactful
about how you leave.

I do review my contracts now for open-ended terms like duration. Is a
six-month contract really just six months? Is this a temp-to-hire duration?
If so, when does the hiring process begin? Is the term an estimate based on
measured deliverables? If so, what are the deliverables and is there a
bonus for finishing early?

Lauren