Don't "Just Do It!"

Subject: Don't "Just Do It!"
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:19:18 -0700 (PDT)

If the job requires alot of analysis, it is important to postpone documentation until the approprate time. Postponing the hands-on-the-keyboard stuff is a key principle behind formal analysis techniques such as structured systems analysis and even the UML techniques.

Richard "Abstraction" Lewis

Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com> wrote:
I won't say I walked in the door and instantly understood the technology...
but I've always been immediately productive by understanding the
requirements of documentation and beginning the documentation process,
absorbing the technology along the way. I've worked in a number of highly
complex environments... laser trim systems, industrial automation (PLC)
software for ladder logic programming and communication, asphalt and feed
mill plant operation, nuclear imaging systems, etc.

I just started an assignment three weeks ago and I've already adapted two
existing manuals to a re-engineered software environment and I'm about 60%
done with a new manual for an under-the-hood application that does the
configuration for an incredibly complex national package sortation system. I
got authorized to use the SourceForge system today, a tool I've never even
seen before and I logged in and submitted three issues. It helps that I have
an associate degree in electromechanical technology that taught me about
hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, computers and programmable controllers.

So, software for petroleum engineering?? Sure, I'll give it a shot. Can't be
much more difficult than the other stuff. At this stage, I'm fearless

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList