Teaching others how to fish

Subject: Teaching others how to fish
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:16:58 +0800

Hi!
Documentation development is not the work of one but to be successful
for an organization it has to be a continuous process by all in
organization.

How do you improve the written and quality of technical communication in
an organization?

As more documents need to be completed by a pro writer, I find that I
end up doing more time doing lots of content editing, restructuring and
reformatting.

* Do you hold classes in your organization to better improve the written
communication of documents written by non-writers ie engineers, project
managers?

Typically, these are the ppl on the customer facing sites who may better
service the organization if they write the documents themselves first,
instead of putting a request and waiting for the queue to be fulfilled.
However we end up getting these documents later on and then trying our
best to reformat it agains't the house style..couldn't our time be
better used.

* What other methods have you done to improve how your time is spent?

It seems all these things we are resolving are more symptomatic in
nature and not really improving the quality of things on a larger level.

Where writers are very limited in number, finding writers to fill the
growing number of requests is pretty hard.

Daniel Ng

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList