Re: Teaching others how to fish

Subject: Re: Teaching others how to fish
From: Writers Book Mall <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: Melissa Nelson <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

Here's one I recall: a lot of my programmers, who were
not native English speakers, would ask me to make
updates to the error message table. This was the table
with all messages shown to users on screen and in
reports.

But what they would actually ask is for me to update
the *massage* table. So my tip was to explain the
difference. :)

I selected the tips based on actual problems that
seemed to recur, not general English usage from a
book. If you can tailor your tips, and your examples,
to your audience, that helps. People actually enjoyed
getting these, since they were bite-sized and
relevant.

Finally, a web host who will help you build and run a site: The Hosting Team - http://www.thehostingteam.com
Books for writers at http://www.writersbookmall.com
Tech writing jobs at http://www.techwritingjobs.com