RE: The coming predominance of userexperienceandtechnicalcommunications

Subject: RE: The coming predominance of userexperienceandtechnicalcommunications
From: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>
To: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:02:48 -0500

Dori,

You mentioned thinking about getting an electric bicycle. I don't
know if there is an electric model, but you might look at a recumbent
bicycle. These are bikes where you sit in a seat that resembles a lawn
chair. The bicycle is lower to the ground and, particularly on flat
surfaces, more efficient and definitely more comfortable for many
people. However, they're not as good at going up hills because you can't
stand and people. The design doesn't really allow for really cranking
hard on the pedals like a regular bike does. However, you CAN push
against them to some extent (and, by extension, push yourself back in
the seat) and get a bit more power that way. There are several makers of
them and even at least one magazine that does reviews of them, as well
as other articles related to them. There are short-wheelbase models as
well as long-wheelbase models, both with their own advantages and
disadvantages. Check them out. You might be surprised!

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer
OI Analytical
979 690-1711 Ext. 222