RE: The coming predominance of user experience andtechnicalcommunications

Subject: RE: The coming predominance of user experience andtechnicalcommunications
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:28:06 +0100

Chris, I think we broadly agree on the fact that technical writers CAN and
possibly SHOULD have a good understanding of other processes and areas of
the company.

But don't use the word pigeonholed, please. Many of the developers and QA
engineers I've worked with are perfectly capable of understanding the
business reasons behind why we are doing X and not Y, and why X is being
done in a particular way. As a team we get together and discuss the product.
The product can be influenced by anyone in the team. Once we understand what
the product is at every level that everyone in the team needs, then we break
out and focus on our own jobs (with regular contact of course).

Pigeonholing is a management level idea, and in my experience (in software
companies) it doesn't reflect the true working practises, you know, the ones
that are never written down. If it did, the company is doomed. Throwing work
over the wall from one dept. to another is NOT a good way to do things.

Ultimately I 'lean' into other areas to help my do my job better. My job is
to create documentation.

Gordon