Re: right to left languages

Subject: Re: right to left languages
From: "iFaqeer (SIA)" <techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:47:09 -0700

I write in Urdu, which is written in almost exactly the same script as
Farsi. You can write in Urdu or Farsi in any program, since they
arenot supported in UTF-8. Arabic is a true sub-set of either.

On both Mac and Windows, it is a matter of turning on support for the
language and then installing/using the right keyboard file.

In Windows, the package/option you're looking for is "East Asian
Languages including Thai" under Regional and Language Settings in the
Control Panel. For keyboard, I'd recognize getting the Phonetic one
from the CRULP in Pakistan: http://www.crulp.org (don't get put off by
the Urdu side of the site, it has English pages, too).

On the Mac, I think it's a matter of turning on the language and the
keyboard. And for Arabic and Farsi, it's all built in, I think. For
Urdu, I had to get a keyboard file someone's created in England.

Drop me a line if you need further help: ashrafs -at- alum -dot- rpi -dot- edu or
ifaqeer -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList