RE: Knowledge is manufactured?

Subject: RE: Knowledge is manufactured?
From: "Sandi Castle" <sandi -at- siberlogic -dot- com>
To: "'Lauren'" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>, "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:56:28 -0400

Well, at SiberLogic we agree with Gene (I think) (maybe we agree with lots
of you!). I just wrote the other day in an S1000D white paper:

"What transforms information into knowledge? In SiberSafe, it is the way
that information is captured and stored - via a knowledge model. Knowledge
modeling is the formal expression of a body of information that not only
defines facts, but describes relationships and constraints between these
facts so that the content has meaning beyond its textual representation."

So, information is what words "say", knowledge is what words "mean".

And both have their place, right?

Cheers,
Sandi (one of those "folks over in Marketing", as Dan so nicely put it!)
SiberLogic, Inc.