Re: Another Word question

Subject: Re: Another Word question
From: Zen C <zenizenc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Edgar D' Souza <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks ED, I am using Word 2003 and you are right the periods are spaces shown.

Oops and what I typed below was wrong.

STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT When I try to insert for rest of the pages it does not insert the header, but when I toggle the pages it shows the link as {Style Ref "Heading 1" \*MERGEFORMAT}.

Anyways I will try the instructions you and Lauren have given. Thanks a million.

Zen

Edgar D' Souza <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote: On 8/4/07, Zen C wrote:
> I am trying to create a word template where it automatically takes in the Chapter name in to the header of the document. It is designed in such way that a header is not inserted in the first page, but only in the rest of the pages of the chapter.
>
> I inserted the header in the 2nd page with Insert-Field-Styleref-Heading 1(Chapter heading style). When I try to insert the for rest of the pages it does not insert the header, but when I toggle the pages it shows the link as {.Style Ref "Heading 1".}.

I assume you've already made the settings for "different first page"
for your headers and footers. Once you've inserted the heading for any
page, except the first page, in the section (or the whole doc, if it
has only one section) then you don't need to re-insert it for every
page. This is what your mail seems to say you're doing - no need for
that.

I don't know what version of Word you're using, but if you've posted
the field's code verbatim, then the periods in the field code are
redundant. (Are those actually periods, or spaces shown as dots by the
reveal codes option?)

After you've inserted a field, select it and use F9 to update the
field, or close the document and re-open it, if it doesn't
automatically update.

HTH
Ed.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList