Fwd: Six elementary rules for writing good english

Subject: Fwd: Six elementary rules for writing good english
From: "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 00:44:17 +0530

Thank you all for turning this into a lively debate. After going through
the reponses, I am now in a much better position to remember these rules.
We often tend to give precedence to style over substance in our writing.
These rules, I think, are great help to stay focused.

Talking about some of the points Lauren has discussed:

Posting a link would have been a very convenient shortcut. To begin with I
did just that: copied the link and pasted it in the mail. But then it struck
me that a link is not the best way to go about it. The probability of a link
getting lost or ignored is much higher compared to the actual text.
Readers prefer text over mysterious links. If the text is short and
manageable I guess it makes better sense to put it upfront.

I may have missed out something but the text reproduced from The
Economist does not contain "errors". I put the comma after "mind" beacuse
I thought that was the correct usage. However, going by the responses above
and a bit of research, I am still to form a definite opinion.

Raj

The quote in Raj's post begins after the colon that follows "technical
communication." Here is what the Economist has,
http://www.economist.com/research/styleGuide/index.cfm?page=673899. But
some errors seem to have been introduced into the quote. It might have been
better to just post the link to the original text instead.

Lauren