Re: How do freelance technical writers deal with the thorny issue of payment?

Subject: Re: How do freelance technical writers deal with the thorny issue of payment?
From: "Michael L. Wyland" <michael -at- sumptionandwyland -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 09:49:29 -0500

Pippa:

1. Flat rate or piece rate (per unit, her hour, per day, etc.)
depends on the type of work being performed. I vastly prefer flat
rate, for a number of reasons.

2. The longer the duration of the agreement, the more you should
insist on at least partial advance payment. If you're allocating
significant time to a client that you can't easily make available to
other clients, that allocation action has a definite value.

A couple of other considerations about advance payment:

a) it tests a client's dedication to a project.
b) it's insurance for the consultant when a project is controversial
and either the work or the continued payment may be used as leverage
by the client against the consultant.
c) it's important when the consultant has to expend money ("hard
dollars" as opposed to time) in order to get a project going or keep
it running.

I've encountered all three situations in my 17 years of consulting.

Alan Weiss ("Million Dollar Consulting," "The Ultimate Consulting
Series," etc.) advocates for consultants offering a 10% discount for
100% prepayment by the client. My firm recently completed a major
project where the discount was worth several thousand dollars to the
client, and turned out to be priceless to us when we encountered
situation b) above.

Michael L. Wyland
Sumption & Wyland
818 South Hawthorne Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-4537
(605) 336-0244
(605) 336-0275 (FAX)
(888) 4-SUMPTION (toll-free)
michael -at- sumptionandwyland -dot- com

Since 1990
Strategic Planning * Executive Coaching * Training & Facilitation *
Grantsmanship

http://www.sumptionandwyland.com
-- NEW web site
-- free e-newsletter sign-up