RE: I've been wrong all along...more pictures less words

Subject: RE: I've been wrong all along...more pictures less words
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:41:27 -0700

> From: Gene Kim-Eng

> But if I hit F1 within the program, the last
> thing I want to see pop up in the online help is a fullscreen
> capture of the same screen I'm already sufficiently confused
> about to need to hit F1.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

I didn't think about the F1 ramifications. I also don't think that
screenshots should always contain the full screen. A full screen screenshot
is necessary as a starting point to assure that both author and audience are
on the same page, so to speak, but after that introduction, then snips of
widgets and what-not should be sufficient to illustrate the current subject.

I have been frustrated by help text that did not include any screenshots and
would simply refer to a control. In one case, for some new Word feature or
moved old feature, whatever it was I needed, the help text would refer to
using a particular control and assumed that I knew where it was or what it
looked like. I did not. I had to backtrack through the Help menu to find a
starting point that I could match to the documentation, and then step
through the help documentation to get to the information that I needed.

As I recall, I needed to go through this several times before I was able to
get what I wanted because I needed to configure my Word as it was configured
in the help documentation. I think that one occasion of Word "help" was
when I was looking for a way to disable those annoying pop-up what's-its
whenever I typed something that looked like a name or a town. Word didn't
want me to disable their precious "feature." I think that I have may won.
Another occasion was when I needed to find out why Word would no longer
spell check my resume (thanks to one recruiter) and I needed to access
language settings that were not as conspicuous the Help menu seemed to
imply. Little pics of the widgets discussed in the help text would have
helped.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList