DocBooks question

Subject: DocBooks question
From: Rick Copple <rick -at- rlcdata -dot- com>
To: 'techwr-l' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:03:12 -0500

Howdy,

My first post to this forum, just signed up a few days ago. Doing one
tech writing job right now, but is personally my first one so I'm a
newbie. :)

So far, so good, and right now it is all web-based help as the program
is a web-based program. However, they are looking at eventually
installing it on company servers, which can still use the web-based, but
lack of installed php might be a problem and a more conventional
delivery method would be needed then.

I've been looking over options and have read up on the DocBooks open
source program. I've downloaded the install file but have yet to
actually install it because it looks like something that could have a
pretty steep learning curve. Anyone here familiar with this program? Is
it worth the effort to learn it or would another route be preferable?

I've also checked out the demo version of "Help Scribble" which seems to
be able to create a decent file, but the concern there is it doesn't
look like it includes a search function. Know anything about that program?

Or is the only really viable option to buy one of the big boys and
mortgage the house to get it? ;)

Thanks.

--
Rick Copple