Re: Checking for updated documentation

Subject: Re: Checking for updated documentation
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: William Turner <wturner -at- force10networks -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 06:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

One option is to offload all of this to the server.

Have your documentation load from an HTML frame that also loads an
image from your server, like
http://www.example.com/docs/ver.cgi?id=2.02

The server can return an image that says, "Upgrade to version 2.14
now."

You will still need to write some code, but it is not difficult.

--- William Turner <wturner -at- force10networks -dot- com> wrote:

> When a user opens our documentation CD, I want to that action to:
>
> 1. Invoke a check of our website for updated documentation
>
> 2. Alert the user if any updates are available.
>
> How can that or some similar result be accomplished?

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList