Re: Camtasia, Captivate, and other commercial or freebies

Subject: Re: Camtasia, Captivate, and other commercial or freebies
From: "Bob Doyle" <bobdoyle -at- skybuilders -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:54:52 -0400

Hi Rob,

David Pearson of Shawmut Education and I are also comparing Camtasia Studio
4 with Captivate 3.

Our goal is a little different. We want to convert long presentations on
DITA to tutorial materials that tech writers can use to get familiar with
DITA. They will be posted to DITA Tutor
(http://www.ditatutor.org)

Your five to ten minute length fits well into Captivate. One of their screen
messages says they can record 10 to 12 minutes of full motion. And the
default time of individual segments is under a minute.

With Camtasia we have recorded presentations longer than an hour. Last
night David recorded a SecondLife meeting of DITA Users on the virtual DITA
Island.

But then the files are huge. (80MB for an hour) So we are now trying to get
the visuals track to just be a succession of Powerpoint slides. The trick is
to get the timing of each slide change at the correct point in the audio.

I wish a video editing program like Adobe Premiere could just insert a still
frame for a few minutes and not turn it into avi, repeating the same frame
many times a second.

My online EContent Magazine column for today is on this subject. It's called
Capturing Critical Content.
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleReader.aspx?ArticleID=37384

Cheers,

Bob.

On 9/3/07, Rob Hudson <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago I inquired about the tool of choice for tech writers
> to create presentations that demonstrate software functionality. I
> received quite a few responses that were split between Captivate and
> Camtasia.
>
> I'm wondering what today's tool of choice is for producing short five
> to ten-minute tutorials on using software packages. I'm documenting a
> web-based system and am trying to decide between Captivate and
> Camtasia. The boss has a pretty strong inclination towards Captivate
> and I don't know whether to switch to that in its current version or
> stay with Techsmith's tools.
>
> Any opinions based on current versions of either? As I recall,
> Camtasia used to have trouble mixing more than two audio tracks
> without Audacity tomfoolery.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob Hudson
> PhD Student, Technical Comm. and Rhetoric
> Composition Assessment Software Developer
> Texas Tech University
> www.iteachwriting.com
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as bobdoyle -at- skybuilders -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/bobdoyle%40skybuilders.com

Bob Doyle
Editor In Chief, CMS Review - http://www.cmsreview.com
Founder, DITA Users - http://www.ditausers.org
Former Technology Advisor, CM Pros -
http://www.cmprofessionals.org/membership/cm-profiles/bob-doyle
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine -
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleIndex.aspx?ContextSubtypeID=71
President and CEO, skyBuilders - http://www.skybuilders.com
77 Huron Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138