RE: software control terms -- To "choose" is passive?

Subject: RE: software control terms -- To "choose" is passive?
From: "Chris Vickery" <cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com>
To: "Yves JEAUROND" <jingting -at- rogers -dot- com>, "Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>, "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:29:20 -0700

I agree that "choose" has the connotation of a mental choice. Because I make a choice does not mean that I act upon that choice. "Select" has the connotation of taking an action. I think this may be a meaning that has evolved over time.

But now that I think about it, there are certainly cases where "choose" implies action as well. If Beau Geste is fighting a duel, does the official say "Select your weapon"? No, he says "Choose your weapon". When Inidana Jones has to decide which is the Holy Grail, the spectral knight doesn't say "Select wisely".

I think it's a case where there's just a preferred term for instruction. I ran across the same issue recently proofing training materials. The author had used "choose" exclusively, and I corrected all instances to "select".

There. Very clear.

Chris