Re: New position - next step

Subject: Re: New position - next step
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "R Arthur" <carthur000 -at- sympatico -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:31:21 -0700

The simplest advice I would give is to think back on
all the managers and bosses you've ever had. Was
there one that stood out in your mind as an especially
good one who always seemed to be there when
needed not there when being there would just have
just getting been in the way, and who always gave
you a good feeling about being where you were
during working hours? If there was, copy him/her.

If not, the function of a leader is to a) select good
subordinates; b) give them goals that are clear
and reasonably achievable; c) get them the tools,
training and support they need to achieve said goals,
if necessary by going to war with other managers;
and then d) get the hell out of their way.

Gene Kim-Eng