RE: TOC

Subject: RE: TOC
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com>, <prasad -dot- yesu -at- applabs -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:47:55 -0400

This is true in general, but the situation is not as absolute
as you make it out.

One exception is MS Word, where you can insert TC field
codes to define arbitrary TOC entries that are completely
independent of paragraph or character styles.

Another exception is structured authoring tools, where
the markup you use to identify elements that will be
compiled in the TOC is semantic rather than style-based.

-Fred Ridder

To: docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com; prasad -dot- yesu -at- applabs -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comSubject: Re: TOCDate: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:17:37 -0400From: brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- comRegardless of what tool, the first step is to ensure that you're using some form of styles. Whether you're using Word, FrameMaker, PageMaker, InDesign, or anything else, there needs to be a continuity so that predefined styles -- not just type specs, but styles -- are applied to the different headings. All the TOC-building engines work off this.-----Original Message-----From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>To: Prasad <prasad -dot- yesu -at- applabs -dot- com>; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comSent: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:10 amSubject: RE: TOC

Only if you tell us what tool you are using.
Unless you are compiling them by hand, TOC
generation is completely tool-specific.
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:28:38 +0530> > Dear All,> > > > Can you help me
understand how to generate TOC?> > > > Thanks,
Gear up for Halo® 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer. It’s our way of
saying thanks for using Windows Live™.
http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_WLHMTxt_2

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/brianlindgren%40aol.com