Re: Technical Writing Certifications

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Certifications
From: "CapDev Communications" <capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:08:36 -0700

Some people on this list might be interested in the certification offered by
the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS). See http://www.bels.org.
Pat
On 9/24/07, Tariel, Lauren R <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu> wrote:
> I think certification can make a difference for entry- and junior-level
technical writers, but I didn't need it. When I started tech writing in
1991, I didn't know what it was, but I knew how to write and I worked
cheap. I didn't know that I could really make a living doing that until I
came across a junior college class for technical writing while I was working
at a bank. The class was called "Writing for the Professions," but the
instructor kept calling it Technical Writing. "What's technical about it?"
I thought. I wrote a lot of documents for the bank, some of them technical,
and when I got laid-off, I told one employment agency that one of the things
I did was write and it's sometimes called technical writing. The recruiter
just about blew her top, "You're a technical writer!" "Well, I guess I am
now. Put me to work."

> A love of writing, one class, a series of happy accidents, and now I have
this career behind me. "Certifications? We don't need no stinkin'
certifications."

> As far as my consulting career is concerned, I've never been asked for a
certification, but sometimes employers want to know about my four-year
degree, which isn't on the list of desirable degrees of most employers. The
employers that care about education seem to be big business with big
bureaucracy that are looking for a contract-to-hire employee. I'm not that,
so I'm not a good fit for the position even if I did have the degree they
wanted. My state contracts never really required anything along the lines
of technical writing certification, although many positions want PMP
certification. I plan to get that towards the end of my current contract.

> Lauren
>
> ________________________________

brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com
> Sent: Mon 9/24/2007 2:55 AM
> To: neilson -at- windstream -dot- net; khizran -at- gmail -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Technical Writing Certifications
>

> This is more in response to Peter's posting.
>
> Sometimes if you're being bid for Government jobs (as an example), the job
requirement states that you need either a degree or certification in
technical writing.

> I agree that there is no substitute for writing. Although I have years of
technical writing and editing under my belt, I have neither a degree nor a
certification in it. In fact, most of the more seasoned tech writers I know
do not have a technical writing, English, or journalism degree.

> I thought about getting a certification simply to have the credentials on
paper to be bid for certain work... but instead opted to get a more
technical master's degree. Everything Peter says is true, but a
certification could make a difference depending on the industry.

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/capdev.communications%40gmail.com

Patricia Egan
P. O. Box 194391