RE: Technical Writing Certifications

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Certifications
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:57:22 -0700

How does the plan of interviewing candidates work in a market that is saturated with "technical writers" who really aren't qualified for the job, but can write up a resume, produce samples (possibly borrowed), and come up with references, so the TWs look qualified? If you are hit with 50 or so resumes from "qualified" candidates, how do you determine who to call for a phone interview and later bring in for an in-person interview? Certification can help slim the numbers in large markets.

Lauren