Re: Employer's Test, was Technical Writer Certification

Subject: Re: Employer's Test, was Technical Writer Certification
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Nicholas Russon <nrusson -at- bluecatnetworks -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:41:58 +0800

Hi Nicholas -

I haven't had to do selections very often but when I have, even in a
strong field, there's always been more important factors to separate the
candidates. If I ignore the price tag hanging from the applicant's
collar, it's not because I'm "focused more on personality than the job".

Putting myself in the shoes of the interviewer, I wouldn't be thinking
"Gosh, how can I deal with this faux pas in a sensitive but
proportionate way?" I'd be thinking it's irrelevant to the person's
suitability for the job, therefore why mention it or give it a second's
thought?

For all I know the guy could have had a seagull poop on his shirt ten
minutes before the interview, and he's just sprinted back from the
clothing store with seconds to spare. But, so what? Can he write? Is he
well organised? Does he meet deadlines? Does he get on with people?

I've never had two candidates so evenly matched that the only way to
separate them was that one said Pier St when he meant Plain St.

As long as the applicant we eventually choose does good work on time, I
wouldn't mind if they turn up for work every second day with the price
tag on their shirt. Or the seagull poop.

Cheers

Stuart

ps. I'm off on two weeks holiday! Yay!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList