RE: What is the best term to use?

Subject: RE: What is the best term to use?
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:36:27 -0700

"Interface" is too easy. I like the term. I want a dictionary of terms that I take for granted and are obvious when I don't think about them.

In my app of many tabs, where some of the sub-tabs are being replaced by a new tab and all of the main tabs are called "screens" and the sub-tabs are called "applets," and sub-sub-tabs are called "tabs," I think that "interface" could be a useful term. However, the entire Siebel application, with a name that people do not use because it has the same name as a half-dozen other components of the system (idiot programmers), is called an "interface," sometimes.

There are also many main tabs (screens) and sub-tabs (applets or tabs, depending on who's talking) that share names but not functionality. The system, a main tab, a sub-tab, and a physical object used in the process all have the same name, "case." Additionally, "case" is used as part of the name of other components. Other terms are frequently and similarly recycled, like "person" and "application." So calling a thing by its name is confusing, to say the least. Calling things by their function or their status in the system can help. Keeping the names separate is important while working with this application and while working with the development project that is making changes to the application. Plus, I'm limited to the terms that the client uses.

I tried to illustrate the problem of giving things the same name during a meeting and found myself tripping over words when I tried to say "For a case where..." I had a difficult time describing the problem without saying "case." I needed to force myself to say "in an instance..." or something similar. The application that I'm dealing is certainly not typical of well-designed applications.

In my case (there's that word again), there is no getting around lame naming conventions and the use of terms that become confusing when compared to real world examples of those terms. But in a case where terminology is a little more flexible, then "interface" makes sense.

Lauren