RE: Getting an Entry-Level Tech Writing Job

Subject: RE: Getting an Entry-Level Tech Writing Job
From: <richard -dot- melanson -at- us -dot- tel -dot- com>
To: <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>, <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>, <emilysirois -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:05:03 -0400

Very well said, and very accurate too!!
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+richard -dot- melanson=us -dot- tel -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+richard -dot- melanson=us -dot- tel -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:45 AM
To: quills -at- airmail -dot- net; Emily Sirois; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Scott quipped: They usually want someone who has worked at that job, or in that company for the last 10 years and is willing to work for the same wages as an Alabama field hand during the Civil War.

Sir, as a proud descendant of Civil War-era field hands, I take great umbrage to your comment in reference to an entry-level TW's wage; said field hands were much better compensated and had superior working conditions ;~D

I would add that many employers are looking for:

1. A demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical concepts
quickly.
2. A willingness to learn and master new software and processes --
on you own time/dime if necessary.
3. The diligence/perseverance to get answers in spite of
work-related obstacles (e.g. obtuse engineers).
4. An ability and willingness to empathize with both the SMEs and
the target audience without favoring one over the other (IMHO - The holy grail of TW'ing). This may not come into play for an entry-level job, but you might as well get started on this now.
5. Confidence in your abilities and experience yet enough humility
to be "teachable"; otherwise you might remain an entry-level TW for a long while. There's plenty of time to be a know-it-all when you reach
the Sr TW level. ;~)

Blessings,

Darren

Darren J. Butler

Sr. Technical Writer-Editor, Template Wrangler, Mil-Spec Pharisee

Integrated Data for Maintenance

NG Corp