RE: terminology that swings both ways

Subject: RE: terminology that swings both ways
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:39:29 -0800

Hi Kevin,

I think if you took a role-based approach to your documentation, then you
avoid the awkwardness of the terminology. The customer's computer is not a
client when it is performing the role of a server. You do not need to
document every role that a physical piece of equipment performs when you
document a specific set of operations. You need to document the _specific_
set of operations whether they are those of a client *or* a server.

There are times when your customer's computer can be a desktop workstation,
but you would not state, "Go to the workstation to administer the
workstation's server and enter login information to access Company X
server." You also do not need to account for how your customers use your
product, whether they dedicate clients and servers or combine clients and
servers on one machine. It is not your job to know what they will do.

Document the customer's server operations in one manual, the customer's
client operations in another manual, and whatever other sets of operations
you have in other manuals, but keep the roles (client and server) separated.

Lauren