Re: Fig. vs Figs.?

Subject: Re: Fig. vs Figs.?
From: "Adam Turner" <adam -dot- turner -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:50:52 +0900

I should have given a little more context to my question "Is the word figure
singular or plural in-text
when describing alphabetically labeled divisions of a single numbered
figure? EXAMPLES *Fig. 12 (a), (b), and (c) shows* OR Figs. 12 *(a),
(b), and (c) show "

I am talking about academic engineering journal articles where the
abreviation "Fig." is the norm with or without parentheses.

*"This definition (6) may also be useful to attenuate small-scale
discontinuities or to take into account some geometrical features of the
images under study, see Figs. 3b and 3c."*
Also, it is fairly common practice to include a number of images in a single
numbered figure. This is probably a space saving device given the size
limitations of scientific articles. For example, there are three images in
Fig. 4 here:

*Fig. 4. (a)* Example of a realization of a CPC Q' (gray levels) with ð2Þ '
0:16—see (12) about the role of ð2Þ.* (b)* Estimated (log)histograms of
normalized wavelet coefficients at various octaves j: they are all clearly
non-Gaussian (Gaussian ) parabola).* (c) *Power law spectrum of Q'ðxÞ as a
function of k ¼ kkk over two decades: the observed slope is prescribed by
the choice of ð2Þ.* [some formatting may be lost. Bolding added]*

SOURCE:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/34/4375367/04359289.pdf?isnumber=4375367&prod=JNL&arnumber=4359289&arSt=2105&ared=2119&arAuthor=Chainais%2C+Pierre

There does not seem to be any difference between refering to one figure
containing multiple images and separately numbered figures. Logically, there
should be a difference. Here are some text samples from different published
papers.

- *It can also be seen, by comparing Figs. 5(b) and 6(a),*
- *in Figs. 4 (a)–(c).
*
- *Typical analytical models are shown in Figs. 4 and 5. Some of the
failure mode shapes are shown in Fig. 6.*

I like Geoff's solution here. I have just abbreviated the word Figure.
"Fig. 12 (a, b, and c) shows"

We also know that published papers don't always show best practices, but I
would like to give guidelines to my graduate engineering students.

Adam

--
Adam Turner

Director
English Writing Center
Hanyang University
Center for Teaching and Learning
Seoul, Korea
http://ctl.hanyang.ac.kr/writing/

"If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn't call it research."
—Albert Einstein

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList