Re: STC Salary data collection

Subject: Re: STC Salary data collection
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, "'Steven Jong'" <SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:31:58 -0800

Over the years I have at times let my membership lapse and/or maintained it. Mostly, what I've gotten from STC is a way to link up
and socialize with others in the field on a face-to-face basis rather than only through forums like this one. I've also made a few
successful job contacts through the STC listings. I would also say that being a member has not significantly affected my earnings
over time either way, though I can see how for some people, seeing what other writers with similar experience in the same area
reported (in the old survey) might have helped bolster their confidence to hold out for higher pay.

However, the statement in question was that STC members made more, not that belonging to STC was why they made it. STC's reasoning
that the organization membership tends to attract people who "take the profession more seriously" and are thus in the higher income
ranges of the profession could also explain it (assuming it's true).

Gene Kim-Eng