RE: Article on 'Getting Started as a Technical Writer'

Subject: RE: Article on 'Getting Started as a Technical Writer'
From: "Will Sansbury" <wsansbury -at- alpha -dot- ipswitch -dot- com>
To: "'Susan Hogarth'" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:09:16 -0500

> On Nov 28, 2007 10:55 AM, Will Sansbury wrote:
> > ... (You're good enough, you're smart
> > enough, and gosh darn it, you can write!). This is the type
> of advice
> > that creates awkward moments where I have to gracefully decline to
> > read the book that the stylist at Great Clips has written. (True
> > story. Now I lie to all hairdressers about what I do for a living.)
>
> wow. snark much?

Hey, I gave fair warning up front! :-)

> Did you have some particular reason to think
> the stylist's book would be bad?

It may be wonderful prose, but when she thrust reams of rumpled yellow legal
pads covered in chicken scratch into my lap for me to read while she cut my
hair, it made for a pretty awkward moment. When it turned out to be an
autobiographical "romance" novel? I didn't need to know such detail about
where the hands she was using to cut my hair had been.

This was one of those moments that was simultaneously funny and disturbing,
like an SNL skit in the middle of crashing and burning.

Will

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList