Re: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)

Subject: Re: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 13:59:44 -0800

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:33:19 -0800, "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
wrote:

>I don't use online sites for samples. All my soft-copy
>samples are either emailed or handed over in-person
>on CD. My soft-copy samples are all either documents
>that are not sensitive because can be downloaded from
>compant websites, or highly scrubbed excerpts that
>contain covers, TOCs and snips from chapters with
>sensitive or proprietary information deleted and a
>note to the effect that my arrangements with the doc
>owner is that I will provide the full printed version
>for in-person inspection but not redistribute copies
>of it.

I make the extra effort to keep my samples with me, period. And if I
had a dollar for every recruiter who balked and dropped me because I
was unwilling to e-mail my samples, !...

Hmm, I guess that distinguished me pretty well as a contrary one who
won't kiss enough ass to get some jobs. Recruiters are always so
shocked:

Recruiter: Send me you samples.

Me: Sorry, they're all proprietary. Know what that means?

Recruiter: Just make some stuff up, format it, send it to me by noon.

Me: Nah, my samples are great, no need to make anything up. But I
have signed agreements that I will protect their confidentiality. You
really should see them in person, that's my advice to you and your
client.

Recruiter: HELLO?! MAKE SOME SAMPLES. This client won't read your
resume without samples. What do you do with your down time that you
can't make up 10 pages for your samples??

Me: Oh, you know, when I'm not at work I'm usually adding value in
other ways.

Recruiter: Oh, hobbies? You sound like an investor. Tell me more
about your investments.

Me: Again, you'd have to see them in person. I could show you photos
and documents, but nothing says it nearly as well as the copyrighted
throaty burblings of my vintage motorcycles.

Recruiter: Oh shoot, I'm late for my 10 o'oclock. Good luck in your
work search.

Me: Can I call you? You know, it would save you the trouble...
hello? Hello??

Ned "putting the stink in distincktive"

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList