Re: Post current product user docs to company website?

Subject: Re: Post current product user docs to company website?
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "V. Camgros" <camgros -at- mindspring -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:19:13 -0500

Like it or not, the developer is almost certainly correct. And even
though it seems to put our jobs in jeopardy, the new way of publishing
docs will be as controlled wikis. (We'll have to leave the almost
totally uncontrolled ones to Jimbo Wales and his Wikipedia.) The docwiki
will be updatable by its users, but only if they have permission. There
likely will be levels of permission, so that users cannot initially make
changes to proposed specs. (Indeed, I'd be surprised to see commercial
specs on the Internet. They are usually secret until after FCS at least.)

I've seen some prototype docwikis on the web, but I've not bothered to
get passwords to them because I'm addicted to copyediting, and if I can
edit every durned docset on the internet, then I WILL, 170 hours a week.
(It's bad enough that I mark for deletion the "greengrocer's apostrophes"
in the "BANANA'S" signs at the supermarket.)

Vickie Camgros suggested:

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList