RE: Order of menu commands.

Subject: RE: Order of menu commands.
From: "Will Sansbury" <wsansbury -at- alpha -dot- ipswitch -dot- com>
To: "'Zen C'" <zenizenc -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:17:49 -0500

Our approach is to document everything that can be done in one simple path
without interruption in one line.

For example, we would write:
Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad. The Notepad applications
appears.

If the steps have an interruption in them, such as a new window, dialog, or
window appearing, we break them into multiple steps, detailing the result of
each action in between.
1. Click Start > Control Panel. The Control Panel appears.
2. Double-click Administrative Options. The Administrtative Tools folder
opens.
3. Right-click on the Services icon and select Send To > Desktop (create
shortcut). A new shortcut icon to Services is created on your desktop.

So in your example, it kind of depends where the system does things. If you
click Admin and the Admin module loads, then I'd write it like this:
1. Click Admin. The Admin module appears.
2. Select Scheduling > Room Maintenance. The Room Maintenance dialog
appears.

This is, of course, just how we do it. The most important thing is that you
define a standard and adhere to it with near-religious zeal.

Hope that helps...

Will Sansbury