Books to learn Adobe InDesign

Subject: Books to learn Adobe InDesign
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:28:50 -0500

Good morning, Whirlers.

Because I was a very bad beetle in a former life I am now responsible
for maintaining and updating a document created in Adobe InDesign CS2.
Long story, but making what the developers insist are small changes is
falling to me as the company doesn't want to pay for getting more time
from the expensive outsourced graphic designer who put my perfectly good
Word document into InDesign.

Some things are actually simple, but others would cause page rolls and
other disasters that I can't figure out how to handle by banging around
in the help files and inspecting the menus.

So can anyone recommend a good utter beginner book for Adobe InDesign?
And a good next step up from that one? Extra points if the book is
directed at someone with little visual sense, though I suspect there
isn't an "Adobe InDesign for the Extremely Reluctant" out there.

I'd be more eager to learn the program if we were ever going to use it
again or if my time were not fully taken up with tasks that can be
accomplished with tools I already know, not to mention tasks such as
analysis that require no tools beyond a mind and a pencil. If we get
into layout tools seriously I'm going for FrameMaker.

Thanks,

Jessica

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList