Re: Quotes/Comma question

Subject: Re: Quotes/Comma question
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: techwr -at- genek -dot- com,techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:24:44 -0800

This problem has come about because people use quotation marks around
things that are not the spoken word. While I realize that the convention
started because of the typewriter where there was no way to differentiate
special terminology, there is no reason to continue it when it is now
easy to put special terminology in italics or bold or both. I have also
seen terminology such as that used here put in pointy brackets --
otherwise known as less than and more than signs if it were a
mathematical equation.

As an editor, I would put it in italics or set up a numbered or bulleted
list as has been suggested by Paul Peterson.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Writer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972
Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs., portraits (people & pets) from
photos
Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
Transcription, etc.
email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net, SendOutCards
Rendering & Logo Samples: http://www.foremangraphics.com

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:02:40 -0700 "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
writes:
> I suppose it depends on your audience. If you put the comma inside
> the
> quote, a non-technical user might thing you are instructing them to
> type the
> comma as well. In that case, a better option might be to split it up
> like
> this:
>
> 1. When the Test Path screen appears, enter the following:
> C:\Applications\test programs\TS3.exe
> 2. Click Next.
>
> An advanced user probably won't make the same mistake, so you can
> just put
> in your text in something like:
>
> On the Test Path screen type C:\Applications\test programs\TS3.exe
> and click
> Next.
>
> (If your e-mail program doesn't show the HTML, the path is in a
> mono-spaced
> font.)
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Paul Pehrson