RE: Quotes/Comma question

Subject: RE: Quotes/Comma question
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC'" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:09:22 -0800

I don't quote command line operations or use punctuation with the command
line text because it can get confusing for some users. Depending on the
style guide and the document requirements, I offset the command, usually in
bold, and sometimes on a separate line.

One of the things about your example is that you mention that users should
begin typing when the screen appears. Does the cursor automatically go to
the right place? Or are users supposed to type in a specific area or text
field of the screen? If this is a simple example of more involved set of
operations that is consistent with other sets of operations in the document,
then I might take the approach that follows, with screen widgets represented
as they are on the screen (e.g.: Next, NEXT, or Next...) offset in bold and
the command line text offset in italic. Additionally, I use "select" when
the option is really a list or radio dial option and "click" when the widget
is a button or link. (I might be a little nitpicky for this little example,
but I tend to do that.)

-------
Perform the steps that follow at the Test Path screen.

1. Click in the <entry box name>
2. Type C:\Applications\test programs\TS3.exe
3. Click NEXT
-------

The use of punctuation inside or outside of quotes is a part of punctuation
controversy. (So is the use of the term "appears," for that matter.)

Lauren