RE: Job market and career

Subject: RE: Job market and career
From: "Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: <linburrows -at- tiscali -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:39:45 -0500

Hello,

Just the fact that there is an online community such as this should tell
you a lot about this profession and the people who populate it.
Note the recent threads ranging from software tools and grammar, to
off-topic subjects like poetry and banjo playing. This is a well-rounded
group of folks who bring a variety of training and life experience to
the table.
I regularly use my experience as a Sailor, military security, musician,
newspaper employee, pastor, and parent of ten (no, this isn't a typo!)
in addition to my technology background to enhance my ability to do my
job.
IMHO, I would describe this profession as a cross between journalism and
Teaching. Like journalists, Tech Writers gather facts and information --
often via personal interview. Like teachers, we also must distill that
information then present it to an audience in way that increases their
understanding and skill. Although it differs significantly from creative
writing, Tech Writing does require a great deal of creativity.
As you see from lurking around this forum, sometimes we can be quite a
persnickety bunch on know-it-alls, but I like to think it comes from a
passion for our profession. We can also be some of the most helpful
people you'll find anywhere.
It's not just what you do; it's who you're doing it with.
Blessings,
Darren
Darren J. Butler
Sr. Technical Writer-Editor, Template Wrangler, Mil-Spec Pharisee ( and
that's just my day job!)
Integrated Data for Maintenance
NG Corp