Information Architect

Subject: Information Architect
From: Jim Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:19:24 -0600 (CST)

Good Morning All,

There have been discussions here in the past that dealt with other areas that are open to tech writers who want to move up/on/out, etc. I think about this often as I try to couple my retirement plans with where I am now in my career.

This is what I was doing the other day when I received a phone call from a recruiter. She stated that she had an exciting opportunity for an information architect.

An info whatsy?

Seriously, I don't think I had ever heard of that title outside of being creative on my business card. But, lo and behold, it's a real job category.

When I asked the recruiter to describe the duties and responsibilities associated with the job I was surprised - they matched what I am currently doing at my present job. When she mentioned the pay rate, I fell over - it was 30% more than what I am getting now.

>From what I've researched - and this is where I'd like your opinion and feedback - information architects seem to do equal parts technical writer, business analyst and GUI (Web) developer. Granted, the job descriptions I found on various job boards varied greatly, but no more so than a "financial" tech writer, or a "medical industry" tech writer.

Has anyone here worked as or with an information architect? Is my assessment of the job title accurate? Is this something that technical writers could move into without too much of a learning curve?

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList