Tech Writing Resources

Subject: Tech Writing Resources
From: Jim Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:25:05 -0600 (CST)

I was shopping online when I saw these recommended books. I thought I'd post them for the next time someone asks about getting started in technical writing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0028641469/ref=pd_thx_qp_3?pf_rd_p=322661001&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_i=typ01&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FF4PNR6VCWJDB6J4DPP

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing" not only can help you break into the field of technical writing, it can help you learn what to do once you're there. It's not enough to discuss documentation in conceptual terms -- today's technical writer wants to know "What do I do first?"

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Writing-Dummies-Sheryl-Lindsell-Roberts/dp/0764553089/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

"LetÃÂÂs face it, a lot of technical documentation reads as if it had been translated into English from Venutian by a native speaker of gibberish. Which is annoying for you and expensive for the manufacturer who pays with alienated customers and soaring technical support costs."

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Writing-101-Real-World-Documentation/dp/097047332X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

"To succeed in technical writing, you need a lot more than just writing ability. Technical Writing 101 details the skills you need as a technical writer, and it explains how to handle the pressures of tight deadlines and ever-changing product specifications."

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Quality-Technical-Information-Information/dp/0131477498/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

This book to tell you how to apply quality characteristics that, in our experience, make technical information easy to use, easy to understand, and easy to find."

http://www.amazon.com/Standards-Online-Communication-JoAnn-Hackos/dp/0471156957/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2

"Standards for Online Communication gives you guidelines for how to place information online within your company. It provides both a design and development process and a set of guidelines for the Internet, intranets, and help systems for designers and authors who need to create effective electronic information."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList