RE: Color Schemes for Tables in Documentation

Subject: RE: Color Schemes for Tables in Documentation
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Keith Hansen'" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:05:20 -0800

> From: Keith Hansen

> In my documentation, I frequently use tables to present data.
> My tables
> have the following color scheme:
>
> * Headings at the top of the table are navy blue with white text.
> * Below the headings, all other table cells are light gray with black
> text.
>
> Here's my questions:
>
> * For tables in documentation, are color schemes purely a matter of
> personal taste? Or are there any color schemes that are commonly used
> and accepted?
>
> * What color schemes do you use in tables?

Personally, I like to avoid the color schemes that come with standard
templates because they are too common. The white on blue headings, grey
border, and black text is a fairly common design (Word uses many variations
with white on navy), unless you are using a shade of blue other than Navy.
I try to keep the colors that I use in my documentation compatible with the
company's logo. It saves me from having to become a graphic designer
because I don't have to decide on colors and it looks nice because
everything looks themed.

I try to balance the use of color so that the document doesn't begin to look
like a rainbow, but there are elements that require color, like certain
tables and lines and sometimes text should be a color other than black
because it can become distracting, like certain text in headers and footers.
Count the total colors in your document besides black and white or those in
graphics. I think four is the most that I will use, but I don't always
count the number of colors. Four colors are on paint swatches at paint
counters. I primarily look for simple appeal and appropriate contrast.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList