RE: practicalities of blogging

Subject: RE: practicalities of blogging
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:43:31 -0000

Firstly, in response, to "why blog?" I usually state that it's a hobby. It
makes as much sense as train spotting, thimble collecting or anything else
that is classed as a hobby. I say I usually state that because Kevin hits
many nails on the head with his response!

I have two blogs. A personal one that has been going for almost 8 years (I
was self-publishing for a couple of years before that, blogging applications
just make it much easier), and a newer "professional" one on which I dump my
brain about anything related to technical communications. That blog landed
me a presentation slot at the TICAD conference, and I find it helps keep me
enthusiastic about my profession.

Technicalities aside I'd think about the personal implications first. It's
VERY hard to stay anonymous, and once you've written and posted something
then it's out there and can always be found again (so if you start anon but
decide to 'come out' later that might bite you in the butt).

I've had feedback, from both blogs, which amount to "thank goodness you
wrote that, I thought it was just me!".

And finally I do have other websites, and I've been online long enough now
that anyone who googles my name will find the websites so I just presume
that everyone is reading my blogs already (and self-censoring accordingly).

WordPress, installed on a paid-for website, is very easy to use and
customise if you are happy tinkering with a little bit of code now and then.
If not, then go down the wordpress.com route, they'll host your blog for you
(but you'll lose a bit of control over what you can do with it).

Your subject line is "practicalities of blogging" and with that in mind I'll
close by suggesting you think hard as to WHY you want a blog. Are you going
to post regularly? Are you going to try and build up a readership? Or is it
purely a place to vent?

HTH - feel free to ping me off-list, as I say, I've been blogging for
several years.

Gordon McLean

(go on, google me!)