RE: Financial crunch - need advice

Subject: RE: Financial crunch - need advice
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Blount, Patricia A'" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:42:16 -0600

Patricia, I would think that the graphic arts stuff might help you, besides
just the writing. One resource is the Writer's Digest - this Ohio publisher
used to put out yearly Market Guides to getting into freelance kinds of
work. They had (still have?) a guide to the marketplace for graphic artists,
for writing, for children's writing and illustration, etc. I believe they
will have this stuff (and other relevant stuff in this vein, from other
publishers) in your local library's reference section.

The front parts of these books usually have very helpful info for getting
into freelance business and the bulk of the books will have reference info
on specific publishers and other users of the material that you will create.

Probably you will want to concentrate on your writing skills; however, don't
completely neglect your graphic arts skills, if you think that you can use
them to make some money too.

But this is only if you have some specific and useful graphic arts
experience in your recent past. Ask yourself: What can I do with my graphic
arts skills to add to my income right now? Jim Jones