Re: Cost estimate of a manual as if it was outsourced

Subject: Re: Cost estimate of a manual as if it was outsourced
From: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:38:50 +0200

The best suggestion is to get permission to show an actual project to
an outsourcer and ask how much it would cost, and how much time it
would take.
We wanted to outsource a complete user guide and they were shocked
that the outsourcer told them it would take 3 months to write, instead
of the one month that it would take in house.

On 2/4/08, SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> OK, so my boss discussed with the Marketing Director the shortage of
> personel in technical writing and his comment was "a problem with time
> managment". Well, the Marketing Director plays the "I have no idea how much
> time it takes and what is involved". I sent him a presentation with an excel
> table as to how to estimate how long it takes. According to that, the two
> technical writers are doing about 100 times more than they are supposed to
> do in a fraction of the time. However, since they don't know how much is
> involved, you can work around the clock, which is what we do and are not
> able to meet the requirements.
>
> So, to make a case which will be more appealing to the Marketing Director,
> my boss wants me now to estimate how long would each thing take if it was
> outsourced. He wants to know the total cost of a manual.
>
> For example:
>

> - 10 photos + photoshop editing will take 30 hours = $XYZ
> - Visio drawings ... = $XYZ
> - Document new features take ... = $XYZ
> - Time taken to update the document to reflect the new features will
> cost $XYZ
> - Edit, format the document will cost $
>
> = Total cost
>
> OK, so how do I go about calculating this? I am employed, not a freelancer.
> I know that everybody works at a different speed but can you tell me in the
> average how to estimate this?
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/caroline.tabach%40gmail.com

Caroline Tabach
Technical Writer
e-mail: caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList