RE: practicalities of blogging

Subject: RE: practicalities of blogging
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 06:28:37 -0800 (PST)

I always thought of blogs as being personal, like public diaries, but
that has changed over the last seven years. I now blog on professional
topics, and should do it more often.

> Mostly I don't allow audience participation, though I may change
> that and allow moderated posts in future. I've seen too much
> content spam on other sites to take a chance with it on mine.

If you (using Wordpress) force users to register to comment, this will
cut down spam. You should also moderate all comments and trackbacks.
Wordpress requires they have a working email address to register.

> Tip: If you go for your own website, register your domain name
> yourself (or make darn sure that your webhost registers it in
> your name). There are some unscrupulous webhosts out there who
> tell you too late that they are merely "leasing" your domain name
> to you while you remain with their service. Gisol (may they
> suffer the curse of a thousand fleas) is one of them.

Excellent advice. I'd add "avoid GoDaddy."

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList