Re: FOSS like FrameMaker

Subject: Re: FOSS like FrameMaker
From: "Ethan Metsger" <emetsger -at- obj-sys -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:33:34 -0500

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:30:10 -0500, technical writing plus
<doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:

> [1] Glad that someone remembered Lyx-I couldn't remember the name,
> earlier
> today. I knew it was a short computer-esque sounding name.

I'll also recommend it as a handy tool. It'll take some getting used to,
but I've used it both academically (on my thesis) and in the workplace. I
personally find it easier to use than Frame, but I'm not really a tech
writer. With some additional tools it can be used reasonably for
single-sourcing (e.g., through plastex or some other conversion tools).

> [2] I was going to suggest Latex as a very close approximation, in the
> FOSS
> world, to Framemaker. I think that most technical publications people
> would
> not know of Latex simply because it is academically-oriented.

> [3] By the way, what is an 'overlay'?

Their website is http://www.lyx.org -- it may provide a little more
information. Long and short of it is that LyX provides a nice GUI
interface to writing latex documents.

Style editing in latex (and therefore LyX) can be difficult, but there are
plenty of choices prepackaged in any latex distribution. I've found it
more convenient not to have to define my own styles, actually, but I'm
probably a little less motivated than some of you. ;)

Best,

Ethan (emetsger -at- obj-sys -dot- com)
http://uppertank.net/ethanm

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList