Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:04:40 -0500

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM, JW <justwrite888 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net> wrote:
> Isn't it easier to keep incompetent people around than it is to fire them?

Sad but true. I've had that experience at several different jobs, in
several different industries. And just because someone has been
calling themselves a technical writer for years does not necessarily
mean that they have kept up with the changes in the profession and can
produce good documentation. I have worked with tech writers with
decades of experience who were fantastic and with ones who were quite
incompetent.

And in answer to SB's question about job descriptions, I think the key
point you're trying to get across (either to the writer or to
management) is that technical writers WRITE. It doesn't sound like
your freeloading, er, freelancer colleague is actually producing any
content, let alone useful content.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList