Value of giving up numbering in Word?

Subject: Value of giving up numbering in Word?
From: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:09:10 -0400

I've been beating against a brick wall on numbering too. I've gotten some
instructions and ideas from list members and they are too hard to do or
take too much time to do with repetitive keystrokes, copying, F9s, etc.
Some i haven't tried because I'm too burned out on the others that seemed
easy but really took hours to figure out, try, and I'm still testing in
Doc-To-Help, which I don't know how it will affect them going through it.
It seems at first glance to have changed them to C1H numbering from SEQ
fields originally, which could be problematic.

This issue has taken up way too much of my time, and my supervisors are
pushing for completion while this issue hangs over me, sucking up more and
more time. I'm considering either:

- manually numbering the many lists of instructions (maybe 20-30 lists of
5-19 lines of instructions?) or
- doing away with numbered instructions altogether (probably
quicker--just reformat them).

Does anyone avoid numbering in a list of many--from 5 to 15 or
more--instructions? How is that working out?

What is the great value of numbering instructions anyway? Is there a
realistic, evidence-based concern that the reader will lose his way, or is
this just a convention that tech writers do without considering the
alternative--not using numbered lists at all?

Got some instructions on macros and SEQ and LISTNUM in the techwhirl and
other archives. It took me a few hours to learn and try the SEQ fields,
and I had limited success, except that the numbers aren't formatted the
way I want them...e.g., like 1) or 1. They just show up as "1" and "2"
right nest to the text. I'm just getting burned out on all the research
and testing needed to implement this whole thing. I really feel frustrated
about it, and angry that Microsoft can't just get it right after so many
years.

The Shauna Kelly thing is way too involved to try. It's way too much work
to get this to work, it should just be a setting adjustment in Word and
have it STAY, ROVER, STAY. This is not a dog with its own free will, it's
a computer program designed to do what we command it to do.

I just want something SIMPLE, QUICK and it ALWAYS WORKS in EVERY
CIRCUMSTANCE. Which is why I'm thinking of not dealing w/ numbering. Don't
do it, no hassles.

Just look at the Vast Mess of Alternative Solutions available. Who knows
what works and what doesn't, and why? Who has time to test all these? With
all this controversy in public on the Internet, why isn't Word just fixed
already?

Here are some solution excerpts:
----------

Subject: Re: Word Templates & Numbered Lists - VBA? SEQ?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:05:00 -0700

> need help with making sure numbered lists work properly.

Several of us have posted instructions on using SEQ fields to produce
absolutely dependable numbered lists. Unfortunately, I can't find ANY of
them in the Techwr-L archives <:( so here's one I posted...

Here's how to get solid numbered lists every time:

For the first item in a NUMBERED list:

{ SEQ numlist \# "0" \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT }

----------
From: suzy -dot- davis -at- doi -dot- vic -dot- gov -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:28:41 +1000
Hi Ardene

Pre-XP I used SEQ numbering, and developed a SEQ numbering tool in VBA
(with a friend who was a better developer at the time) which inserts the
SEQ number field for the selected level to the selected paragraph(s).
There is also a button which removes the SEQ fields and associated spaces
and tabs from selected paragraphs. And if the selection already has some
numbering, either SEQ fields or other is removes them and adds the
selected
SEQ field level.
I worked on a lot of tender responses so I loved using the SEQ field
method
because it gave me control, and I liked it better when it became a more
automated process.

Since XP I discovered that if you build your outline number styles through
the user interface they can be reasonably stable as long as you define the
numbering via the level 1 style's numbering definition. (If you want me to
elaborate more on that give me a yell).

But the most stable way since XP is to build your styles and outline lists
via VBA, and I have now developed a tool which does this. You store all
your style style and numbering definitions in a spreadsheet, and I've
found
this works very well, and is very stable. Helps with managing clients
template definitions as well.

If you are interested in either of these tools, please contact me
off-list.

regards
Suzy Davis
Create Space Pty Ltd
e: suzy -dot- davis -at- createspace -dot- com -dot- au

WhittleseyA -at- dekalblibrary -dot- org
Sent by: To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
bounce-techwr-l-165345 -at- lists -dot- t cc:
echwr-l.com Subject: Word Templates & Numbered Lists - VBA? SEQ?

09/10/04 01:08 AM
Please respond to WhittleseyA

I'm developing a template in Word for a training manual, and need help
with making sure numbered lists work properly. I'm curious about how
people have done it so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. What's better -
Word macros? VBA? SEQ fields?

I'm currently working in Word 2003 on Windows 2000.

I've read the MS Word MVP article on how lists work, but can't seem to
find anything on the web describing how people use various tools to do
this.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ardene Whittlesey

--------
From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
Subject: Re: Seq field solution?
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

I followed the advice on the Shauna Kelly site, and this page in
particular:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

The Word MVPs site is also very good:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering.htm

No need for SEQ fields, and so far, so good.

Stuart
---------
These macros and SEQ field solutions look very time consuming, tried the
SEQ insert thing and it takes too many keystrokes with F9 just to insert
these.

I just want a simple solution. Is there one? The best solution looks like
giving up numbering altogether.

Tim

---------

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList