Re: Compare and Contrast Doc Group Performance -- What's a World-Class Doc Group Look Like?

Subject: Re: Compare and Contrast Doc Group Performance -- What's a World-Class Doc Group Look Like?
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:15:22 +0530

>> He rattled off some QA-type statistics (code coverage, testing
automation, trends in bugs found/fixed) as good examples of how a QA team in
Company X might be compared to a QA team in Company Y.

We're really talking metrics, although we could call them sheep's eggs or
something else. The idea usually, is to establish a sheep's egg standard,
and then set goals that sound like a 20% improvement per quarter, or a sick
stigma target or something equally delightful. The problem is that many
qualitative factors can be twisted beyond recognition once they're
quantified and converted into empirical targets.

Some direct parallels to the QA-type statistics would probably be topic
(feature/task) coverage, task automation, (and since we've covered bugs)
process/product enhancement initiatives (prototyping, information
re-architecting, usability testing,), percentage of content reuse potential
realized, etc.

I would assume that most of this would be covered as part of your balanced
scorecard exercise.

You could also look at what sheep's eggs marketing is using.

Regards,
Edwin

Edwin