Re: Compare and Contrast Doc Group Performance -- What's aWorld-ClassDoc Group Look Like?

Subject: Re: Compare and Contrast Doc Group Performance -- What's aWorld-ClassDoc Group Look Like?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:43:02 -0700

I think it's important to keep in mind the source of the
request: management. These are the same non-writers
you usually have to pull teeth out of for an Acrobat or
FrameMaker upgrade, and their eyes will glaze over if
you even try to address subjective quality aspects such
as document usability. You can give them some of the
measurable document defect issues you listed, but what
they are really interested in hearing is that you can sit
down with a product owner and lay out a plan for docs
to accompany a product that will cover all the topics,
manage resources to complete documents that conform
to the plan and are completed within the schedule
constraints necessary to never be the hold-up in
product release and delivery, and that you can provide
accurate forecasts of the resources (i.e., money)
needed to consistently meet these goals. The only
way the subjective quality issues will get their attention
is if you can produce sworn affidavits from big money
customers that they chose to purchase your company's
products because they were impressed with how good
the documents were.

In the eyes of your corporate management and
stockholders, "world class" means "more profitable."

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList