Re: Pages Per Day

Subject: Re: Pages Per Day
From: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:58:51 -0400

I've been using the dependency calculator on the ComTech Web site ever
since someone posting it to one of my mailing lists.

http://www.comtech-serv.com/dependency_calculator.htm

I've been keeping track of my own productivity for a couple of years
now, and so far my personal numbers match the estimator pretty well.
My previous gig ran 3 - 5 hours per page, depending on the project.
My current gig (which is a *tad* less structured and has no
specifications to help me get up to speed) is taking me quite a bit
longer. I haven't finished my current project yet, but the estimates
from the dependency calculator are 8 - 9 hours per page, which may
explain why this project seems to be taking forever. *groans*

At five hours per page, tell them that you (lone writer?) can write
them six and a half pages of documentation in four days. If you've
got a team, do the math for the team. Then, as Bill said, let the
negotiations begin.

BTW, how long did they spend coding this monster? I'm sure it wasn't
four days... Sounds like they brought the writers in a little late in
the process. I always want to say (but usually end up just muttering
inside my head) "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an
emergency on my part...."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList